Tuesday, June 12, 2012

How To Brighten Up Your Space

Hello hello!

My name is Aude, from heodeza, and I’m delighted to be guest blogging for Allie while she’s travelling around the globe.

I've put together a small paper garland tutorial for you today with touches of neon because, well, I can't seem to get enough of it lately!

The other day I came across a craft puncher I had never seen before: a button-hole punch. It makes two cute little wholes which make it super easy to thread pieces of paper together. It’s perfect to make a garland without any glue or a sewing machine (so far I had always used either one method or the other when making my garlands).

Wanna see how I did it?

Let me show you!


Here is what you’ll need:
  • card paper (white and neon yellow)
  • strong thread
  • needle
  • different round(ish) paper punchers (I used a small round one, a scalloped circle and an asterisk-shaped one)
  • button-hole paper puncher (if you don't have one I guess you could also just poke your paper with a thick needle but it probably won't look as neat)

Start by punching the small button holes, making sure there is enough space in between them to later cut the circles.
  • Use the different round-ish craft punchers to cut the shapes out. Make sure to aim so that the button holes are nicely in the center.
Once you’ve prepared lots of paper ‘buttons’, cut a thread slightly longer than the length you want your garland to have in the end. Thread the needle and go through your first paper button’s holes. In order to secure the button in one place (so that the final product is evenly spread out and so that the buttons don’t move around all the time), follow these three very simple steps:

  • Choose the place on the thread where your button should be and hold it there.
  • Pass the needle through the first and second hole again.
  • Pull the whole thread through.
That's it!


Just repeat this over and over again all the way until you have a bright garland that you can hang somewhere pretty and admire all summer!
***
Thank you for this fantastic tutorial, Aude! Wouldn't this be so lovely to use for a party? You could incorporate this at a baby shower, engagement party, birthdays... or just to add a little extra spice in your home! It's super versatile. I can't wait to try it out for myself!

Aude's blog, heodeza, is packed full of many more do-it-yourself tutorial's like this one. Her creativity and eye for design is a huge source of inspiration, so head on over to see more for yourself!

3 comments:

  1. This is Perfect with that ikea lamp! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks great - headed over to check out her blog now :)

    just found yours and i hope youre having galavanting around the world :)
    excited to be your newest follower!
    love,
    elisabeth
    lavitaebella-elisabeth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, trust me to miss the garland and focus on the light! I love the light!

    Aude, great job by the way! Very creative

    ReplyDelete

AddThis